Munti Discovery: The Triumph of Science Over Death

I have been living in Muntinlupa for the past 10 years (not counting the 5 years I spent back in grade school) and I am ashamed of the fact that I have not checked out the sights in this lovely city I call home. Had it not for my office mate Rai who mentioned that there is an interesting statue very near Festival Mall, I would have continued to be oblivious of its existence.

The Triumph of Science over Death (Left)
The statue I am talking about is a replica of The Triumph of Science Over Death, a clay sculpture made by Dr. Jose Rizal as a gift to his friend Ferdinand Blumentritt. According to my good friend Wikipedia, (aside from Google) the original sculpture is now displayed a the Rizal Shrine Museum at Fort Santiago in Intramuros, Manila. Another replica, made of concrete, stands in front of Fernando Calderón Hall of the University of the Philippines College of Medicine along Pedro Gil St. in Ermita, Manila.

To satisfy my curiosity and redeem myself for my ignorance of this replica's existence, I decided to check it out this afternoon right after doing some retail therapy (translation: grocery shopping). The statue is in the old research facility of the Department of Health, which according to my research will be part of the Festival Mall's expansion.



I hope that it is true because it would really be sad if development triumphs over this little known and hardly seen piece of heritage. I wonder who made the replica, it clearly has seen its good days and just like the  compound where it stands, it is in a decrepit state. I bet our hero would rise from his grave if he sees its present situation.

If you want to see the statue for yourself, it is just a short walk from Festival Mall's X-Site Entrance. You will see the Alabang Bus Terminal right in front, and it is right before Ospital ng Muntinlupa and Asian Hospital.

That's all for now. Till my next wandering, Ciao!

Comments

  1. This replica stands at the entrance of the old Biological Productions Service of the Department of Health. This is where snake anti-venom and anti-rabies vaccines were manufactured until the mid 90s. JMV

    ReplyDelete
  2. This replica of "Science conquering Death" stands at the entrance of the former Biologicals Production Service of the Department of Health where snake anti-venom and anti-rabies vaccines were once produced until the mid 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This replica stands at the entrance of the old Biological Productions Service of the Department of Health. This is where snake anti-venom and anti-rabies vaccines were manufactured until the mid 90s. JMV

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Rockin' Great Time at the Liliputan Rocky Beach Park

Midyolaseng sa Mineovaheng