I ♥ Paco in Coconut Milk

If there is one vegetable that I would not get sick of eating it would be Paco, an edible fern (Scientific name: Diplazium esculentum) that grows in most of Southeast Asia. It is not really a popular vegetable and I seldom see it being sold in the public market so when I do get a chance to see it, I make sure that I buy a bunch or two.

Most restaurants use this fern to make a salad but I (or should I say my Mama) still prefer to cook paco in coconut milk. I am from Eastern Samar and Warays like me love to cook veggies in coconut milk and paco definitely goes well with it.

My mother was lucky to buy paco from an ambulant vendor in Muntinlupa public market last weekend, good thing there was some left as one guy almost bought everything that the vendor was selling (hoarder alert!). At Php4.00 per bunch, it was definitely a good buy.


Just like other leafy vegetables, you just need to    take the tender sprouts and remove the mature leaves and stalk before cooking. Saute some garlic and onions, add the coconut cream, season with salt and voila, you've got a tasty dish.

You can add pork or shrimp if you want some protein but paco would still taste great even without it.



That's the finish product, a vegetarian dish that is great specially now that we are celebrating the Lenten season.

Paco in coconut milk plus fried fish, what more can I ask for?




This is the Wandering Lion, signing off. Peace! 














 Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. i actually learned about paco from another travel blogger. nacurious tuloy ako na tikman to .. gusto ko matikman ng aking mahiwagang panlasa hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my first time to hear about this fern Paco. Before I continued reading, I thought it was some kind of seaweed. :))

    There's just too many other herbs, ferns, ingredients, etc to discover. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. chino: sana ay matikman mo ang paco, i'm sure you will like it as much as i did.

    blankPixels: another leafy vegetable to add to your list. you're right, there's just too many ingredients to discover and taste. :)

    thanks for the visit guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about this, can't remember if from my mom or sister. But one thing is for sure, your post makes me hungry - fish and veggies, a little break from the usual meat dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo nga Ruth, the holidays is just full of saucy of dishes kaya masarap kumain ng ibang luto para maalis ang umay. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time I've seen that vegetable. Hmm I don't go to the market kasi hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. sarap ng Paco first ko makatikim ng Paco sa pala-isadaan in Tayabas, quezon, longtime ago and i love it. everytime we are quezon, i always look for paco.... sarap.. a very healthy food... www.tripandclick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know there's an edible fern.. Thanks for sharing this! I'm not much into veggies, pero this dish looks so delicious.. :) Btw, have a wonderful 2012!

    Sumi of http://thepurpledoll.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacy: At least you know now, hehehe
    Crossing Bridges: Paco is da best!
    Sumi: No problemo, thanks and hope you have a great 2012 too.

    Thanks everyone for visiting my humble blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Munti Discovery: The Triumph of Science Over Death

A Rockin' Great Time at the Liliputan Rocky Beach Park

Midyolaseng sa Mineovaheng