When I grow old I want to be like Lolo Marcelo Hostallero

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. -- Mark Twain

(RIP Lolo Marcelo, He was 105 years old)

On our tour of Chavayan in Sabtang Island, Batanes we had a pit stop in the house of Lolo Marcelo Hostallero, who at 104 years old is still a strong, able bodied man. He is quite a local celebrity as everyone who goes on a tour has to stop by Lolo Marcelo's abode and do a meet and greet with the jolly centenarian.

I don't know if I will reach Lolo Marcelo's age or even half of it but I do hope that I will be like him when I am old and gray. I don't want to be like those old folks who suffer dementia and do not remember the people around them.


When we had a refreshing drink of buko (coconut) juice courtesy of Lolo Marcelo's daughter, Nanay Tiding, there was a joke that the buko juice was the secret to his long life. Gay Backpacker (that's her beside Lolo Marcelo) and I quipped that we were just aiming to reach at least 80 years so if it would take a lot of buko juice to reach a hundred then we would just think about it. You do know what buko juice does to the body right? I don't want to spend the remaining years of my life urinating every waking hour. The offer is good but I think I'll pass.

Kidding aside, it was our privilege to meet you Lolo Marcelo. Thank you very much and if I do become old I wanna be just like you, with or without buko juice.

This is The Wandering Lion signing off (just in cyberspace).
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Munti Discovery: The Triumph of Science Over Death

A Rockin' Great Time at the Liliputan Rocky Beach Park

Midyolaseng sa Mineovaheng